Teff Chocolate Chip Date Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 29 minutes
How to make Teff Chocolate Chip Date Cookies
1. Pour boiling water over the dates in a heat-proof bowl just to cover and soak for 5 minutes. Drain well and chop the dates.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Brown Berhan Teff Flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a medium bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until just combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
6. Add the chopped almonds, dates, and chocolate and mix until evenly distributed.
7. Drop large scoops (heaping tablespoons) of dough onto a parchment-lined lined baking sheet, about 3 inches apart (you might need to bake in batches). Chill the dough on the baking sheet for 45 minutes (or freeze for 20 minutes).
8. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9. Bake for 14-15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the top is set, but still soft.
10. Remove from oven and bang the pan once to flatten the cookies a bit. Sprinkle with flakey salt. Let cool on the baking sheet for a 5 minutes before carefully transferring with a thin spatula to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- 100g of pitted medjool dates
- 1 ¼ cup of Brown Berhan Teff Flour
- 1/2 cup of tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup of packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into ¼-inch chunks
- ½ cup dry roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Flakey salt, for sprinkling
This recipe was inspired by and originally developed by our friend Sarah at Snixy Kitchen check out her site to see some more teff recipes!
Got an interesting teff recipe of your own? Share it with us for a chance to win a 5 lb bag of teff flour and be featured on our website and social media! Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Teff Recipe Submission