Making healthier choices? Hoping to shed a few pounds before beach season? Either way, you don’t have to say goodbye to delicious food to do it, thanks to these healthy food recipes.
The notion that you have to eat like a rabbit in order to be healthy or lose weight is just plain wrong and these recipes prove it.
Angel Food Cake
We’re breaking the rules here and going with dessert first. Why? Because when it comes to Angel Food Cake, we just can’t help ourselves.
- 1 ¾ cups of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of cake flour, sifted
- 12 eggs (room temperature)
- ⅓ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (or an extract of your source)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spin sugar in a food processor for 2 minutes until superfine.
- Sift half the sugar with the salt and cake flour.
- Set the other half aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, water, extract, and cream of tartar for 2 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer, sift in the remaining sugar while beating at medium speed.
- After achieving medium peaks: sift in enough of the flour mixture to dust the top of the foam folding gently with a spatula until the entire mixture has been used.
- Spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool upside down for at least an hour.
Loaded Cauliflower Bake
While this can technically be only a side, we’re more than happy to make extra and eat nothing but Loaded Cauliflower Bake for the entire meal. It’s just that good.
- 2 small heads of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Bacon crumble
- ¼ cup of green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut cauliflower into florets and blanch for 3 minutes. Dry and drain water.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add garlic until fragrant.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes (or until golden).
- Add milk and bring to a low simmer. Whisk in cream cheese until fully combined
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar until fully melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium sized dish, mix cauliflower, bacon, green onions, and cheese sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and cheese is melty.
Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup
This delicious Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup can be ready in about 30 minutes or you can go the extra mile and bust out the slow cooker!
- 2 tablespoons of cumin seeds
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 600 grams of coarsely grated carrots
- 140 grams of split red lentils
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 125 millilitres of milk
- In a large saucepan, dry-fry cumin seeds and chilli flakes.
- Scoop out half and set aside.
- Add olive oil, carrots, split red lentils, vegetable stock, and milk. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Hand blend or use a food processor until smooth.
- Season, add a dollop of yoghurt, and sprinkle reserved spices.
Now Add Teff!
The best part about these recipes is that you can make them even healthier teff recipes simply by substituting the flour. For the soup, instead of naan bread, you should definitely try it with injera (and you can make it yourself too).
Along with these healthy food recipes, teff is a remarkably versatile super grain you’ll be glad you have in the kitchen.
- Tags: Berhan Grains Berhan Teff how to cook teff simple recipes simple teff recipes teff recipe teff recipes