Teff Flour Recipes That Can Help Beat The Heat!
This summer is expected to be an absolute scorcher, so anything that helps beat the heat is more than welcome. Luckily, that includes teff flour!
We love sweets when it’s hot and with teff, you can be sure they will be full of the nutrients you need to get through the day.
Vegan Mocha Teff Breakfast Pudding
This recipe from Craving Something Healthy is so easy, we might just start having it every single day for breakfast.
In only about 20 minutes, you’ve got a gluten-free breakfast packed with protein, calcium, and vitamins. What more could you ask for?
- ½ cup of teff
- ½ cup of espresso or strong coffee
- 1 ½ cups of almond or coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons of honey
- Fresh raspberries
- Chopped almonds
- Combine teff, coffee, milk, cocoa powder, and honey
- Whisk together in a medium saucepan
- Bring mixture to boil
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Let cool and serve in bowls
- Top with fruit and nuts
Teff & Oat Bread
Summer is the time for adventures and Power Hungry has an awesome oat bread recipe that will have you fuelled up and ready for anything. It’s gluten-free too!
We also love making stuff that allows for multiple helpings. This recipe is so good though, it will likely only last for a single day!
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- 1 cup of nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 ½ cups of (gluten free) rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons of psyllium powder
- ¼ cup of flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons of molasses
- 1 cup of teff flour
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoons of fine sea salt
- ¼ cup of oil
- Combine water, milk, vinegar, oats, psyllium, flaxseed meal, and molasses. Stir and let stand for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit and grease 4 small loaf pans
- In another small bowl, whisk teff flour, baking soda, and salt
- Combine both mixtures together with oil and stir vigorously
- Divide thick batter equally into each pan and smooth tops
- Bake for 40 to 44 minutes. Loaf tops will be very puffy and will deflate to pan top when removed from the oven
- Let cool completely.
Gluten-Free Teff Brownies
When you decide to make brownies, it’s usually because you’ve earned them. However, this recipe from Healthy Slow Cooking is actually a healthy alternative!
- ¼ cup of ground flax seeds mixed with ½ cup of warm water
- ½ cup of brown or coconut sugar
- ½ cup of white or raw sugar
- ¼ cup of oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of brown teff flour
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Oil 8x8 inch pan or line with parchment paper
- Mix flax seeds, sugar, oil, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl
- Mix teff flour and cocoa powder in separate bowl
- Add mixtures together and stir well
- Add walnuts and continue mixing
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, spread evenly, and bake for 30 minutes
So, what are you waiting for? Grab some teff from Berhan Grains and start making some delicious, healthy treats for the summer!